Reflective note related to this week’s discussions, practices or readings. Also add a link to your pre-course survey.
This week was a great week for implementing and reflecting on all of the new tools that we have learned how to use, as well as all the learning and steps taken towards crafting our online assessments.
I was able to learn about pre-course surveys, and there usefulness in retrieving information about the students enrolled in a given class. I feel that the online tools for creating surveys are free and easy to use. Websites like survey monkey can make it easy for teachers to learn how to best accommodate there students, and key information can inform the instruction for the class.
While the pre=survey was a great learning experience that I am excited to implement, I was more excited this week by the articles read. It was interesting to read.... and ..... because they prompted me to reflect on all of the pieces of the online assessment class. The articles explored concepts such as formative assessment, rubrics, feedback strategies and constructivist approaches to teaching and learning. After reading the articles I posted my thoughts on the message board with my peers. The post most representative of my learning this week is as follows:
The relationship between Constructivist Learning, Rubrics & Feedback- Both articles read discussed feedback as an important part of online assessment. The Petersen article focused on feedback as a device for coaching students by giving feedback relative to performance on formative assessments. However the Koohang, Riley and Smith article explored something that captured my attention. As an art and design teacher, I was very interested in reading how constructivist activities, rubrics and feedback work together. I admit that I have implemented a lot of constructivist activities without having analytic rubrics. However, I can see now how helpful rubrics can be in helping students understand the expectations of the teacher. Furthermore, I can appreciate that rubrics help guide the teacher in giving specific feedback. This class and this article have inspired me to create more analytic rubrics for objectives that require more detail and holistic rubrics for e-portfolios that require holistic feedback.
In all, the articles have been very helpful in exploring how the many assessment techniques work together to ensure the most clarity in online assessment and curriculum planning. I cannot wait to put it all together in my final project. Look for it soon in the ARTifacts page.
what an amazing picture.......
ReplyDelete